Sturgis & Brigham, circa 1880
Often overlooked, Liberty Square is a wonderful downtown
oasis which reminds visitors of times and places unseen.
The square's focus is a statue
dedicated to the 1956 anti-communist revolution in Hungary. But that revolution
is not why this is called Liberty Square.
The building was originally known as 55 Kilby St. It was constructed by
Sturgis & Brigham circa 1880. These are same architects also designed
Church of the Advent on Mt. Vernon St. on Beacon Hill's South Slope and
the exuberant residences at 8 and 10 Fairfield St. in the Back Bay.
The building's style is mixed. The first three floors have an Italianate
flavor, including a sort of Ruskinian arch above the door. But after the
third floor the texture of the building changes, and it is topped with Romanesque
arched windows, and barrel-style ornaments which echo them on top.
The building has been nicely renovated, and adapted for retail use, with
first floor shops and upstairs office space.
Photo's from around 1970 show this building a quite plain entry with industrial
looking front windows on the first floor. Its nice to see some buildings